Friday, June 26, 2009

I don't know

Today a very astute person pointed out to me that I say "I don't know" a lot.
I rarely don't know what to say. I can fudge my way through most topics of conversation and even if I truly don't know something I usually say something like "Interesting," or "OK" and/or tilt my head and nod.

So why would someone point out to me that I use the phrase "I don't know" a lot? A whole lot, apparently.

I know why. I say it when I don't want to answer a question or when I'm nervous. Mostly these are personal questions about emotions and opinions. I also say it when I know the answer will upset the other person. Then the "I don't knows" come flying out.

So today I made a resolution to stop saying "I don't know." Well, except for when I truly don't know the answer, and even then I might be better off with something less clueless, such as "Let me think about this question and I'll get back to you" or "I'm not entirely sure, but here's what I think..."

No comments: