Thursday, June 11, 2009

Oh, Canada

Tomorrow I am doing something I have not done in a long time (8 years is my best guess).

I am going to go to a tourist-y place, stay at a very nice hotel, have a fabulous dinner at this hotel, and then breakfast before seeing the sights (read: ride that boat that goes to the falls). I am going to spend the day/night in Niagara Falls with my mom tomorrow. The hotel, dinner, breakfast and parking will probably amount to 1.5 weeks' pay, which doesn't say much, since I'm on a stipend, but I just don't do extravagant things like this.

When I go places, I try to find a free place to stay (a friend, a friend's friend), and I've even slept in my car to avoid shelling out money for a place to stay. Whenever possible I stay at hostels, but these are a little scarce across the US, unlike in Europe.

I spent 5 weeks in Spain last year and spent a total of $1500, including transportation (from another European country, so no cross-Atlantic flight), lodging, food, souvenirs, camera batteries, etc. That was probably the best trip I've ever taken. Where did I stay and what did I eat? That's another story for another day.

I don't do extravagant things but I will try my very hardest to enjoy a night in relative extravagance. It helps that my dad will be footing the bill, since the trip is mainly for my mom.

No comments: