Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Life without a kitchen

In 4 short weeks I will be moving out of my apartment and into the house, no matter what kind of state the house is in. I hope I can have the downstairs hardwood floor refinished before then, and the kitchen painted. However, there definitely will not be a kitchen in the house yet. Cabinets take 4 weeks to order, and countertop takes 4, sometimes even 5 weeks. I am also very hesitant to order the cabinets and countertop before I've closed on the house, because you never know what might happen.

So, the bottom line is that I will be without a kitchen for about 2 weeks. I can't afford to eat out for every meal (my eating out budget is one dollar per day, which equals about 3-4 lower end eat-out occasions per month or 1 to 2 higher end occasions). I can't go to someone's house every day to eat, and I also can't use someone else's kitchen to cook.

I've tried to come up with a list of things one can eat without a stove, fridge and microwave. Basically, what can one eat without a kitchen? (luckily there is a sink in the bathroom)
  • ketchup (does NOT need to be refrigerated)
  • bread
  • peanut butter (am I the only person who finds PB revolting?
  • jam
  • food that comes in a bag and is horribly unhealthy (chips, oreos, pretzels, etc.)
  • fruit
  • vegetables (if eaten fairly quickly after buying them)
Any other ideas out there? Maybe the water in the bathroom is hot enough to make instant noodles?

Just the sight of that list is making me hungry (as in - I don't want to eat those things for 2 weeks, so I'll probably end up being really hungry).

No comments: