Thursday, April 30, 2009

Special friend

I don't make friends easily - I'm picky, and I'm not overly social. I have a few good friends, and everyone else is an acquaintance. Don't get me wrong, I like people (most of the time), and I do enjoy meeting people (most of the time), but it just takes a lot for me to call someone a good friend.

I have a special, sort of secret friend, I think. I used to work full-time as a translator and one client had a lot of collaborative projects I worked on, and it just happened that I was often paired up with this one lady. For these projects we would spend anywhere from 1 to 3 hours on the phone, and being from the same corner of the world, but both living far from that corner, we quickly found that we had a lot in common, even though she is more than twice my age. We've collaborated on about 20 projects and every time we get to talk to each other we catch each other up on our lives, and just enjoy chatting away in what we both consider out native language.

So there. I have a secret friend. We've discussed the possibility of a real-life visit, and considering that she lives in a fairly well-known town that I wouldn't mind visiting (we're talking driving distance!), that just may happen at some point. But for now she's my not-so-secret-anymore phone friend.

No comments: