Saturday, May 2, 2009

Let me know if you need any help...


In less than two weeks I will be the proud owner of this 89 year-old house - an 89 year-old house that needs some TLC (read: for at least a couple of months, every free minute and spare penny will be spent on renovations).So far project house has taken up very little of my time. Over the last 4 weeks I have done the following:
  • Finding a realtor: 1 hour (thanks to some awesome friends)
  • Looking for a house before putting a (winning) bid on one: 5 hours
  • Buying appliances: 3 hours
  • Picking out kitchen cabinets and countertop: 10 hours
  • Picking out colors, er, 200 different swatches of sample colors for all the rooms: 1 hour
  • Search the internet for various ideas for cabinets, colors, etc.: 3 hours
I just told a few friends I was hanging out with tonight that so far this whole buying a house thing has not been stressful or burdensome. They didn't quite believe me, but it's true. It took a LOT more time and infinitely more stress to find an apartment a year ago. I've been really lucky finding a house I liked (and could afford) as quickly as I did, and there really haven't been any major stepping stones or obstacles (knock on wood). I still go to school/work every day, and I still do everything I usually do.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, since I'm really excited) all this is about to hit the fan. Closing day is less than 2 weeks away and I had better hit the ground running! I hope the people who have offered to help (mainly with painting) realize I plan on taking every last one of them up on their offers of help.

No comments: