Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Colliding Worlds

I live far away from my family (parents, siblings, extended family), and I visit them about once a year. It's almost as if I had two separate lives - my life here, and my life (for a few weeks each year) in yester-land, where my parents live. These worlds are about to collide. My mother is coming to here-and-now-land to help me move. 3.5 weeks with my mother in a world she barely knows.

I just made my mom sound like she lives in a mud hut somewhere (nothing wrong with that!!), which she doesn't. She lives in a modern, western country and leads a very nice life. She just isn't used to the hustle and bustle and overly consumerist culture of the US, and the one time she visited (for a weekend) she commented on how much open land there is here. She visited some of the more populated states in the union, and the open land she saw was just the land she could see from the highway. She also saw Boston and was highly unimpressed. I guess US cities are not very exciting when you live in a city that has remnants built 5-some-thousand years ago.

Nevertheless, I plan on showing my mom around this part of the country a little, and the following things are on my agenda of possible things to do (other than move to the new house, paint every room and furnish a house for about $23, of course)
-NYC (it's so different from where she lives, she just might find it impressive)
-Niagara Falls
-camping (a very un-yester-land-like thing to do)

And the countdown for my mother to arrive from yester-land has begun. T-15 days.

No comments: