Wednesday, May 13, 2009

New Used Furniture

Furniture is insanely expensive. Who has the money to spend $500, $600, or even $1000 on a dining room table with chairs? My house came without furniture (which is OK), and I own very little furniture (bed, dresser, desk, office chair, wooden chair, two bookshelves). The large private University in town recently ended the spring semester, and the exodus of students left behind a lot of furniture. I've been craigslisting and garage sale-ing to find a dining room table with chairs, one or two couches, a coffee table, shelving and whatever other cool furniture I can find.

Yesterday I got a (potentially very) nice hutch/bar for the kitchen with some stools, a coffee table and a TV with a built-in DVD player - all for less than $100 (combined). The hutch needs a good cleaning, some paint and some refinishing, but I like it a lot. It's stored in someone's garage for the week, so no pictures yet, but I'll be sure to post some before and after pics. So exciting. I really enjoy refinishing/fixing up furniture.

I do still need a dining room table and a couch or two, but it's not super urgent, since I have about two weeks until I can move any furniture into the house.

No comments: