Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Everything for sale

I answered an ad on craigslist for "everything for sale - moving to CA" today, and a few hours later I went to these people's house. They had a beautiful home filled with beautiful new things, a spectacularly well-outfitted kitchen (really awful, cheap, mass-produced cabinets though), solid furniture and high-end electronics. And they're selling everything except the two dogs. The guy was very specific. NO DOGS FOR SALE. Good, because those dogs were slobbering all over my legs and feet.

The guy said that he and his wife (both lawyers, which explains the incredibly nice stuff) got married 6 months ago, and furnished the house and also got tons of stuff for their wedding. I took a tour of the house, and while I didn't particularly like their taste in furniture (very yuppie, minimalistic, urban, hip) they had some very nice kitchen things. He admitted that they cook dinner maybe twice a month, so most of the pots and pans had never been used. They weren't selling the stuff quite yet, because they would still need some of it, so he said he would get back to me with prices, and then I can come get it in 1-2 weeks if I want it.

I told him to give me a price on the following things:
-kitchen stools
-lawn mower
-hedge trimmers
-garden hose & trolley
-snow shovel
-weed whacker
-pots & pans
-dishes
-Pyrex dishes (a whole set of them)
-crock pot
-microwave
-toaster oven

I hope they don't ask for outrageous amounts of money for these things. It would be awfully convenient to just pick all these things up in one place, rather than spend the rest of the summer lurking around garage sales. And now that I think about it I should have asked him for prices on the glasses (yes, drinking glasses, I have no shame when it comes to using cheap not-new things), the snow blower, the tool box with the tools and the coat rack. I also think the guy thought I was crazy, because I asked about the dishes. He admitted that they didn't think that they could sell those (as in, who would want to buy used dishes?!). I would!!

No comments: